Thursday, April 14, 2011

Peg People Race Game

 


I am sure you have seen the peg color matching game around. If not, here is the set I made -

(idea from Chasing Cheerios, Gluesticks has a cute version too!)

Although they are fun for C, even J likes to play with them, I wanted the pegs to have more than one use. So I created this game for them (it is similar to one that my old preschool had called Snails Pace Race

 The game board is made from an old cereal box which I painted on the plain side. I also painted 2 cube blocks I found in the unfinished wood section (same area where I found the pegs and pots) at Hobby Lobby.


And because there are only 5 racers, I painted one side of the dice using all the colors.


Since I forgot to include the purple peg in the race, she is the cheerleader on the sideline :)

For this game you can have as many players as you wish and everyone plays with all the colors. There is no arguing over who gets to be a certain color and no one child is the winner.


The first player rolls both dice and moves the pegs according to what is rolled. If you roll a blue and red, you move the blue and red pegs one space each.


If you roll the rainbow, you get to move any color you wish 
 

If you roll 2 of the same color, move the pegs ahead 2 spaces


Each player continues until there is a winner -- Red wins the race!

abc button No Time For Flash Cards Best toys for toddlers Tip Junkie handmade projects

7 comments:

  1. You worked hard on that game! Great color activity! Thank you for sharing at It's Playtime.

    Rachele @ Messy Kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I played this many times with my school kids as a Monster Race game. They loved it...and I loved the no fighting over colors and who is winning, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a cool idea!!! I am sure my 4 and 2 1/2 year olds will love this

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun simple game! I have not seen this before. I love that everyone plays together on the same team. I have a bunch of those pegs already. It looks like I found something to do with them now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea! Just shared it on FB. :)

    Thanks for adding it to last week's High paw. Hope to see more great and fun play ideas from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea. I am always looking for clever games for my kiddos!

    ReplyDelete